Mexican Chicken Chowder
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs, bone in, trim of fat and skin
- 1 Roasted Tomatillo salsa (try Frontera tomatillo salsa medium spice)
- 4 cups chicken broth (home made or organic store bought)
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (can substitute with butternut squash)
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups chopped spinach
Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro and/or avocado slices
Place the chicken, salsa, broth , sweet potatoes, carrots, lime juice, garlic, and salt in a stockpot over medium – high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium-low heat
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and shred it. Set aside.
- Scoop 2 cups of vegetables from the soup and place in a blender with ¼ cup of the broth. Puree the vegetables for 15 seconds and then incorporate back into the soup.
- Add the chicken and spinach to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until the spinach is slightly wilted.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
Source: Against all Grain