Everyone has heard of the famous saying
An apple a day keeps the doctor away
… but very few of us really take it seriously.
Reported Health Benefits of an Apple :
1. Apples are a rich source of flavonoids and polyphenols, both are powerful antioxidants
2. Apples contain malic acid and tartaric acid which decongests the liver by thinning the bile
3. Apple cider vinegar when used as a beverage can help to prevent the formation of kidney stones
4. The skin of Apples contains pectin that can help remove toxic substances from the system by supplying galacturonic acid. Pectin helps with cardiovascular and digestive health
5. May lower incidence of cancer
6. In its whole form, it is high in fiber and slows insulin response
7. Eating an apple daily can lower cholesterol and reduce skin diseases.
Make sure you pick out organic crunchy apples with firm skin. Apples should be eaten organic because they are considered one of the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables on the shopper’s guide developed by the Environmental working group (EWG). Pesticides on fruits and vegetables can damage once health, especially during fetal development and early childhood. EWG has developed a shopper’s guide to help consumers make informed choices to lower their dietary pesticide load. Read more at www.FoodNews.org to get the EWG’s 2010 Shopper’s guide to pesticides.
The health benefits of an apple are endless, so eat your apple a day!