The kids are back in school, the weather is starting to change and the sun is setting earlier. Summer is just about over and fall is officially setting in.
If you are feeling rushed, overwhelmed or just plain tired, you are not alone. The time between seasons can be “trying” for even the most balanced among us.
In Chinese medicine, fall is the season of new beginnings. We have just left summer, a time of high energy and are moving into autumn, which tends to be a more introspective time. This shift in seasons carries a shift in energy and health.
And in fact, symptoms like colds, sore throats, digestive pain and headaches are often a sign to take time for self-care during a seasonal change.
In holistic medicine, we believe in your body’s natural ability to heal. So healing with the seasons can bring you into harmony with nature…allowing you to feel your best.
How do you move from the excesses of summer into introspective fall, while feeling your best? Detoxification!
So why do we need to detox?
Detoxification is how your body rids itself of toxins. Toxins are everywhere: in food, the environment, even in products in our own homes!
The 5 most common toxins are:
- Pesticides and herbicides in your food supply.
- Heavy metals (like mercury, aluminum, arsenic, lead and cadmium) from pollution in the environment.
- Chlorine in cleaning supplies, water and in the air near industrial plants.
- Phthalates in plastics, like plastic wrap and food storage containers.
- VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) in dry cleaning, paints, carpets, deodorants, moth repellants and air fresheners.
Our modern lifestyles are certain to expose us to toxins in one way or another. You can see from the list above, that toxins are in just about everything you come into contact with on a regular basis.
But did you know that your eating habits and stress levels contribute to a buildup of toxins as well?
It’s true. Too much sugar, processed foods, soda pop, not chewing completely and eating on the run all contribute to poor digestion. When you are not digesting, absorbing and eliminating properly, toxins build up in your body.
Is there any good news to this picture? YES!
Your body is always detoxifying on a minute-by-minute and day-to-day basis, so it’s a natural part of how we stay healthy. In essence, your body knows how to help you detoxify!
Your body has five major detoxification pathways:
Unless you get serious about the toxins you are exposed to, your body may not be able to keep up with detoxification.Over time, your detoxification pathways get clogged, making it difficult to get rid of toxins. This has ramifications on your health AND well being.
How You Know It’s Time to Detoxify
If your detoxification pathways are not functioning properly, you may start to feel tired, sluggish and achy.
It’s common to have respiratory and digestive symptoms as well, like coughing, allergies, constipation, gas, bloating or diarrhea.
In addition, if one detoxification pathway is clogged, you may experience symptoms of detox in another. For example, if you are constipated, you may get a rash on your skin. Toxins are always looking for a way out of your body.
Besides physical symptoms, you may feel emotional symptoms like depression, anger, rirritability or feeling overwhelmed. When your body’s detoxification pathways are clogged, it also affects your moods.
Other signs you may need to detox are:
- Digestive pain, like food allergies, gas, bloating, constipation and diarrhea.
- Headaches and migraines.
- Respiratory issues like coughing, sneezing, wheezing, post nasal drip, sinusitis, and runny nose.
- Skin problems, like acne, rashes, hives, eczema and psoriasis.
- Difficult gaining or losing weight
When to Detoxify
First of all, one of the best times to detoxify is at the change of seasons!
Most people notice physical and emotional symptoms during seasonal changes and this reminds us of our deep connection to nature.But don’t wait for the change in seasons. If you are noticing any of these symptoms of toxicity, the time to detox is now!
When we discuss the idea of NATURAL detoxification we are looking at accomplishing 2 things:
- Enhancing the function of your primary organs of detoxification (skin, intestines, liver, lungs, kidneys) through the use of lifestyle and dietary modifications and food supplements.
- Identifying and treating the stressors to your detoxification systems (e.g., food allergies, infections, nutritional deficiencies, maldigestion, malabsorption, or toxins from environment).
Bringing your detoxification systems back into balance is a process that involves supporting your body AND it’s systems to nourish them back to a healthier state. At PureBalance Health Center, we focus on eliminating some of the habits that created toxic buildup in the first place.
We then work with you to target a plan to create natural health.
How To Reduce Your Exposure to Toxins and Detoxify Now!
How can you protect yourself from toxins? Well, unless you move far away to live “off the grid,” toxins are pretty much a fact of life.
However, you CAN reduce your exposure to toxins with these 4 dietary tips:
- Choose organic foods – When you eat organic foods, you avoid all of the chemical pesticides and herbicides that are in conventional foods.
- Eliminate processed foods – Eating a diet of whole, natural foods takes the toxic load off of your body. If you would like guidance on foods that will support your best health, including how to deal with digestive pain and food allergies, come in for a diagnostic appointment and we’ll give you a personal roadmap tailored for your needs.
- Heal your digestion – Digestive problems are on the rise in America. In fact, a recent survey found that 2/3 of Americans find it harder to maintain digestive health than financial health!1In fact, digestive pain is often one of the leading complaints we see today.All good detoxification plans will start with a gentle yet effective way of eliminating wastes from the intestines, while changing your diet and supporting digestion to ensure that all food that is eaten is properly digested.Some good diagnostic testing is recommended in order to identify the root cause of symptoms you are experiencing.
- Supplement with high quality chlorella – To support your detoxification and overall digestive health, we recommend Jade Chlorella. Chlorella is a fresh water algae and one of the oldest foods on the planet. It is also one of the gentlest intestinal cleansers available.
Chlorella has the following benefits:
- Retrains your intestinal muscle contractions.
- Binds to chemical or heavy metal toxins and helps eliminate them from your body.
- Brings your small intestine to a more alkaline state.
- Rids your body of unwanted organisms and encourages the growth of beneficial organisms.
- Boosts your immunity.
- Balances your blood sugar levels.
- Provides important amino acids.
- Fights bacterial and viral infections.
- Contains antioxidants that go after free radicals that are known to cause aging and disease.
- Contains vitamins and chlorophyll to support your digestive health.
Jade Chlorella is special because it retains the important tough outer shell that helps bind to and remove toxins. AND the shell is also cracked, so you get all the benefits of the nutrients inside the tough outer shell. This is also referred to as “broken-cell wall” chlorella.