Coconut flour is a healthy alternative to enjoy baked goods guilt free…you just can’t eat a lot of it.
Health benefits of coconut flour:
- gluten free and grain free
- high in fiber
- high in beneficial fats
- high in protein
- gentle on blood sugar levels due to it’s low level in digestible carbohydrates
In experimenting with this flour I have come to the following conclusion…stick to a recipe designed for coconut flour …a little coconut flour goes a long way so you can’t substitute for another flour in a recipe.
I modified this recipe from Elana’s Pantry’s Cookbook and these fluffy little muffins were a big hit in the Bayne household…just limit yourself to 1 or 2…they are quite filling.
A perfect little treat for those up coming lunch boxes!
Gluten free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, blend together eggs, honey, coconut oil and lemon zest
- Blend dry ingredients into wet
- Fold in poppy seeds
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into lined muffin pan
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes
Cool and serve
Makes about 18 mini-muffins
Cheers to a healthier you!