This delicious Chicken Enchilada Casserole dinner recipe is borrowed from one of my favorite paleo sites; Swiss Paleo. Bayne kids tested and approved!
For the sauce:
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 red Thai chilis
- 12oz. can of canned tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 scallion (or use more onion)
- 2 Tablespoons of ghee (or butter)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 12 oz. of cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 red bell pepper. chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- Shredded cheese of your choice
For the sauce:
- Chop the garlic, bell pepper, onion, scallion and chilies.
- Fry them up in the ghee (butter) until the onions and scallions are translucent.
- Add the cumin and oregano and cook for about 1 minute.
- Then add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, broth and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Fry the red bell pepper and onion together in a frying pan with a little bit of ghee until tender.
- Add in the chopped or shredded cooked chicken.
Putting it all together:
- Spoon 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Add a layer of filling.
- Repeat sauce and filling layers until you run out. Top with grated cheese (optional).
- Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!