This soup uses two herbs from the ginger plant family – ginger and turmeric. The oils in these ingredients are loaded with antioxidants; promote circulation and aid in digestion.
- 1 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- ½ inch fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 1 long red chili, diced
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 2-inch lengths of lemongrass stalks
- Heat ghee or coconut oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and chili and cook for another 5 minutes, or until softened and aromatic.
- Add carrots and stock, and then place lemongrass lengths into the soup. Bring mixture to a boil, and lower heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes until carrots are softened.
- Remove lemongrass stalks and discard. Blend soup in batches in a high-powered blender or process with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Enjoy this soup on cold winter days to aid with inflammation.