4 cups unsweetened organic shredded coconut
2 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
4 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk (I used an organic variety from a can)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup organic dark chocolate, melted with 1 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil (the coconut oil makes the melted chocolate smooth)
Additional coconut for dusting if desired.
- Place shredded coconut and coconut oil into a food processor.
- Process on high speed, scraping down the sides occasionally, until it reaches an almost buttery consistency.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt and process on high speed until ingredients are combined.
- Shape the coconut mixture into 1” balls.
- Place on wax paper, and refrigerate for at last an hour, or set in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once the coconut balls are very firm, melt the dark chocolate, and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for just a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Once the chocolate is melted, carefully dip the coconut balls into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with a tiny bit of shredded coconut
- Allow the chocolate to harden by placing the coconut balls back into the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer, for up to a week.